I was recently approached by someone who was dying to write a post for my blog. I'm pretty sure this means I'm a big timer in the blogger world! So without further ado, here is a post written by none other than....Husbandy (with some comments by yours truly)!
There’s a time in every Aggie’s life that is absolutely
invigorating. It’s a time when you feel more proud and honored to represent a
school that stands for so much more than just an education. I understand
I could be talking about many different events. However, the moment I’m talking
about this time is one that's filled with so much excitement and joy. It makes a statement about who
you are and what you represent. It is when you order and receive your Aggie
ring.
Sidebar: Whoop!
Growing up in an extremely meek home in a small Florida
town, I was unaware of the tradition, family, faith, loyalty, and servantship
that Texas A&M University held. I was a follower and well down the road to
destruction when God had other plans. Thinking to myself, “I’d be lucky to get
an associate’s degree,” He put something, or rather someone, extraordinary in
my life. Someone He knew would catch my attention; motivating me to go above
and beyond dreams I thought I’d never reach. This is a person who didn’t look
at where I had been or criticize my past; a person that knew I was in need of
God’s help, love, and grace. This amazing woman, I can humbly, and proudly, say
is my wife.
Sidebar: *blush*
Seeing A&M for the first time as an outsider was a bit
strange, I agree. But once you become an Aggie, that all changes, and it’s so
hard to describe. So I’ll leave that to someone else.
Sidebar: I feel like there’s saying about that…..
I moved to Aggieland in August of 2003. Wifey was an
incoming freshman and completely sold on being an Aggie.
Sidebar: I bled maroon since I was born!
It took attending a few events before I was fully able to
comprehend what Aggies were all about. The interaction and togetherness the
campus exhibited was just remarkable. I previously attended a community college
for one year and had no motivation to go back to school. But, I suddenly had a
change of heart. This was a small flame that grew into a Bonfire (Whoop!) over
the years. I began working as a leasing agent in College Station, after
attaining my real estate license. I was making good money and attending Blinn
part time in hopes of transferring into Mays Business School. Unfortunately,
that didn’t work out as planned. Wifey graduated, we moved to Dallas, and got
married a year later.
Sidebar: Have no fear; we traveled back to College Station
to tie the knot. It was only appropriate.
I transferred to UT
(or TU) Arlington and met a group of lifelong friends, both students and
faculty, through the Goolsby Leadership Academy in the business school. As I
applied for graduation and began to prepare for acquiring a job, I spoke with a
friend of mine who had graduated from the Master of Real Estate (MRE) program
at Texas A&M. We had worked together at Century 21 in College Station, and were very similar in
personalities, likes and dislikes. He thought the MRE would be a perfect for me
and that I would really enjoy it. I visited with the MRE faculty, and just
loved the idea. They said there was a good chance that I would be accepted, so
of course I applied. (Side Note: Being accepted to TAMU is another exhilarating
moment for an Aggie) The day I received THE email, I was on campus at UTA in an
organization’s office. Click, wait, click, click, wait longer….cccooOOMMEE ON! ........ “You have been accepted!!!” I jumped and yelled for about a solid 2 minutes,
then called wifey and friends.
Now, here I am in my last semester. I recently acquired the
amount of hours that allowed me to order the…AGGIE RING! WHOOP! The day I
became eligible I went straight down to the Association of Former Students and
ordered it! On March 30th I will proudly wear the symbol of family,
tradition, loyalty, servantship, and faith!
Sidebar: CANNOT wait to be there for that. J
Then, on the weekend of May 12th I will walk the stage
in Reed Arena and accept my Masters of Real Estate from the Mays Business
School faculty! This is an accomplishment not attainable without God, wifey,
family and friends. Over the past 9 and ½ years that I’ve lived in Texas, I’ve
learned that God has our plans laid out; we shouldn’t fight them, but accept them. He knows you and your motivations, and he will lead you down the right
path. He will provide when He knows you’re in need. Trust Him.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Yayyy Jason Wagner! I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you. You are such a great example of what endurance, faith, and hard work can get you! I know you thank a lot of people for helping you get where you are today (and of course they deserve this thanks) but don't forget to give yourself tons of credit too! You've put in so much to get where you are and I can think of no one more worthy of receiving his Aggie ring. You exemplify so much what it means to be an Aggie and I'm proud to have you as part of the family (both the Vrla family and the Aggie family)
ReplyDeleteLove you bro!